1 Ich folge
aretaa

Justamyth

In theory I don't try to read one genre exclusively because a good story is a good story... In practice however I find myself reading Fantasy and (more recently) Sci-fi again and again. I read for fun and to entertain myself.

Ich lese gerade

The World of Ice and Fire: The Official History of Westeros and The World of A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin, Linda Antonsson, Elio M. Garcia jr.
Bereits gelesen: 151/336 pages

October Book Haul

I really bought a lot of books this month. I haven't done so in a very long time. In fact, the last time I even bought physical books (for myself and not as a gift for others) must have been around two years ago. And no wonder. When you can get great ebooks for less than 5€, what's the point of buying paperbacks that cost usually twice or even thrice as much?

However, as much as I love my Kindle... I realized I really missed having a book in my hands. So I bought some. Nevermind that I still have several unread books on my shelf. Sense? What is sense?

Physical books:

River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay - I've read Under Heaven, which was great, so I bought the sequel.

City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett - I don't really know much about it, but I heard it's really good. Not that it's always wise to trust raving reviews... I'm looking at you Emperor of Thorns.

Brave New Worlds ed. by John Joseph Adams - I feel like you can never go wrong with anthologies. Okay, maybe you can, Zombies vs. Unicorns wasn't that great. But the one I'm currently reading hasn't disappointed me so far. Plus, there are some classic short stories in this, such as Minority Report and The Lottery!

Saga Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan - I don't read grapic novels, but I wanted to give one a try and since everyone is gushing over this, I chose Saga.

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear - Okay, two reasons I got this: a) I wanted to read something by Bear and b) Space Horror!

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - Again a really popluar book that I hope will deliver what others have promised.

Wars of the Roses: Stormbird by Conn Iggulden - This (as well as the following book) was a spontaneous buy at a local bookshop. Their English books shelf is risible small and I was actually surprised I managed to fing something interesting. I've read Iggulden before and the subject matter speaks for itself so I grabbed it.

The Circle by Dave Eggers - I'm ashamed to admit I bought this solely based on the cover. It seems to be a corporate thriller. That's all I know.

The World of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, Other People - I've been looking forward to this book for over a year now. It's not The Winds of Winter, but it's so fucking gorgous!

Ebooks:

The Strain by Chuck Hogan, Guillermo del Toro - I wanted to read something scary given that's October.

The Falcon Throne by Karen Miller - It's supposed to be court intrigue á la Game of Thrones which always peaks my interest. I've yet to find one however that delivers on the comparison.

The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton

The Temporal Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton - All three Hamilton books were really cheap, as in less than 3€, so I bought them immediately. I really liked Pandora's Star after all.

London Falling by Paul Cornell - This is Urban Fantasy, a genre that has been rather disapponting so far, but I haven't given up hope yet. Rivers of London was pretty good and this might be similar, I hope.

A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki - You know, sometimes you just want to read something different. I hear it's good and it was cheap, so I bought it.

The Six-Gun Tarot by B. S. Belcher - Pretty much the same reason as above, because I haven't read any kind of Western yet.

Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker - I have heard soooo many good things about the author, I really hope s/he delivers.

The Honor of the Queen by David Weber - I got the first novel for free a while ago and since this was free as well... :D

Stealing Light by Gary Gibson - Cost less than 2€ and it's Space Opera. You can't go wrong there.

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson - I really liked Elantris hence I wanted to read more by this author.

That's twenty-one books. Yikes. The funny (or sad?) thing is... the ebooks cost me less than a third of what the physical books cost.